About Spring Impact
Spring Impact was founded in 2011 as a registered charity in the UK and has a subsidiary registered in California with 501(c) (3) status. Our mission is to scale social and environmental impact and we work globally, currently including the US, Europe and Africa. Since our founding, we’ve worked with over 500 organisations and helped our partners change an ever-increasing number of lives in ways that we’re exceptionally proud of.
Through this work we’ve found ourselves in the position to address barriers to scaling impact in broader ways: the core of our work is consulting, but we also run training courses for impact leaders, undertake research to inform systems-level change, and work with funders to help them fund for impact at scale.
We now have 28 staff members based across the UK and US, and work with associates across sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, the US and Latin America.
Spring Impact’s Board is responsible for setting the strategic direction of the charity, supporting its organisational development and ensuring that it delivers against its mission.
All Trustees are asked to:
- Regularly attend Board meetings and contribute their specific knowledge or experience to help the Board reach sound decisions
- Work with the Chief Executive to develop long-term strategy and set business plans and objectives
- Ensure that Spring Impact and its representatives operate within the legal and regulatory framework of the charity sector and in line with its governing documents
- Guard Spring Impact’s values and uphold the confidence and trust of its clients, staff and other stakeholders
- Work effectively with other members of the Board
- Act as an enthusiastic ambassador for the Charity, helping to build the Charity’s network and donor base
Board and Committee meetings
There are usually four Board meetings per year, typically of two hours’ duration; physical attendance is recommended for those based in London but otherwise online. There is also an annual in-person Away Day meeting in London. Board members are also expected to join at least one Board sub-committee, each of which usually meet quarterly. Currently there are three such committees: Finance, Operations and People.
The role of Trustee is voluntary and not accompanied by any financial remuneration. Reasonable expenses such as travel or childcare may be claimed, together with the costs of attending relevant training courses and the like.
Term of office
Normally, two three-year terms. The maximum is a total of three terms.
Why join us?
We have a passionate and highly capable staff team and Board, proven methodologies to help organisations to scale, and are well poised for growth. We have had significant success in building our business over the past two years in particular, and have ambitions to meaningfully scale our impact and become a household name in scaling impact.
We are halfway through our 2022-25 strategy period and will be seeking support and guidance from the Trustees to shape our new strategy. This represents a particularly important moment to shape the future of Spring Impact, helping the organisation to consolidate what is working and develop and test new ways of creating impact at scale.
Key skills and experiences
- Lived experience in the global south.
- Commitment to Spring Impact’s mission and values and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the Trustee role.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship.
- A well-rounded understanding of the work of non-profit organisations, ideally gained through senior leadership roles in the sector.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to challenge and contribute to the work of the Board in a collegiate, constructive and supportive manner.
- Understanding of Spring Impact’s business model – charity consulting, scaling impact etc.
To express your interest in this opportunity, please send a cover letter to Corrina Salas [email protected] by 23 February 2024, highlighting how this opportunity aligns with your interest and the experience you would bring to the Trustee role. We will then organise an informal discussion with Mohamed Osman, Chief Executive of Spring Impact for you to gain further insight on the role.