WHY SPRING IMPACT?
Do you want to help scale up some of the best solutions to the world’s most pressing needs? Are you interested in working as part of an innovative, flexible and dynamic team? If so, Spring Impact may be the place for you. Spring Impact is an organization with a bold vision: a world where social problems are addressed at scale. We work with social impact leaders around the world doing truly transformative work (see a list here) to reach more people in more places. Spring Impact is a registered non-profit, but one that operates under a consulting business model and with loads of entrepreneurial drive. We are innovative, imaginative and driven to scale our organization and others. The team you will be joining are an exceptional group who have chosen to focus their talents on scaling social impact. More on what it is like working at Spring Impact is found below.
WHAT WILL A MANAGING CONSULTANT DO?
As a Managing Consultant, you will be part of Spring Impact’s leadership team and serve as a role model for staff. You will shape, then lead, a diverse portfolio of domestic and international projects – working on several client projects at once. You will be responsible for supporting the ongoing development of Spring Impact’s methodology and impact goal achievement. You will effectively manage the performance, development, and well-being of direct-line reports. You will develop senior client and funder relations and generate both new business as well as follow-up work for existing clients.
Consultancy and Client Relationship Responsibilities include:
- Developing project proposals and approaches, including budgeting as well as resource management
- Managing project delivery to schedule, budget, and quality – identifying and responding to potential barriers to success
- Sharing advice from Spring Impact experience, guide clients through difficult decisions, and challenge clients when necessary
- Presenting final deliverables to client’s senior stakeholders, including boards and funders
- Role modelling facilitation of workshops for junior team members
- Role modelling conduction of groups and interviews for junior team members
- Providing guidance and direction to junior team members (e.g., Consultants and Senior Consultants) to complete project outputs
- Providing accurate status reports and manage up to Director
- Delegating project logistics to team members
Organizational Responsibilities include:
- Leading internal workstreams and other critical internal strategic initiatives that contribute to Spring Impact’s overall mission and strategy
- Developing specialist area of knowledge or specific sector
- Organizing and delegating organizational support across the Spring Impact team, including some administrative tasks
- Ensuring the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization
- Establishing effective and transparent decision-making processes that will enable Spring Impact to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives
- Supporting recruitment, onboarding and development of staff Business
Development and Advocacy Responsibilities include:
- Developing new business opportunities for the organization
- Contributing to budget setting, forecasting and monitoring of financial performance generally
- Sharing best practice through occasional writing, representing Spring Impact at conferences, including co-presenting sessions and other modes of contribution
- Continuously improving Spring Impact’s methodology and consulting framework, supporting updates to existing thinking and helping develop new products and service offerings
Staff Development Responsibilities include:
- Communicating effectively with the team on a regular basis ensuring information is clear, accurate and timely, managing expectations both upward and downward
- Effectively managing the performance of direct line reports by creating clear development plans, supporting them to implement these, providing clear and actionable feedback as needed and carrying out progress reviews and appraisals against objectives
- Cultivating the personal development and wellbeing of direct line reports
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The right candidate is a passionate and experienced consulting professional with a proven track record of successfully leading and delivering projects. We are looking for an excellent communicator with the ability to listen, earn the confidence of clients, delivery quality, and see the bigger picture. This role requires an enthusiastic self-starter who possesses exceptional attention to detail, managerial skills, writing competency, presentation and facilitation acumen, and the initiative to understand and get involved in all aspects of this growing organization.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- 4-7 years of relevant experience in consulting/advisory services
- Candidates will need existing legal permission to work in the US
Required skills and traits
- Commitment to the social sector
- Critical and strategic thinking and decision making
- Project management, time management, and organizational skills
- Self-starter and adaptability
- Presentation and workshop facilitation
- Client relationship management
- Effective written and verbal communications
- Emotional intelligence
- Use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
Desirable skills and traits
- Experience as a line manager
- Speaks a second language, e.g., French
- Financial modelling experience
- This is a full-time position open to anywhere in the US, with some international travel required (~25-30% in non-COVID times)
- Seeking an experienced consulting professional. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
WORKING AT SPRING IMPACT
We are a small but dynamic and growing organization. Our people are our most valuable asset so we are committed to making Spring Impact a great place to work. Full-time employee benefits include participation in medical and dental insurance, retirement, and commuter benefits programs. We have flexible working policies and value the importance of work-life balance, invest in social events, foster an informal work environment and are committed to our team’s professional and personal development, which includes individual training budgets.
DEADLINE AND ANTICIPATED INTERVIEW DATES
Deadline for application: Sunday October 18 by 5 pm Pacific
- Phone screenings: End October
- First round interviews: End October
- Final round interviews: Early November
- Preferred start date: November 2020
To apply, email your resume and cover letter responses to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Consultant – US” in the subject line. In place of the standard cover letter format, please respond to the following 3 questions:
- Why do you want to be a part of Spring Impact’s mission & work?
- What makes you most qualified for the position?
- What are your best skills you hope to bring to the table?
No phone calls please. Only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted. Spring Impact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or qualified job applicants based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other status or condition protected by applicable law. This policy extends to, but is not limited to, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, training and termination.