Spring Impact supports the world’s best social sector organizations to scale their impact. If you’re inspired to tackle a range of the world’s problems from supporting Africa’s farmers to working with San Francisco’s homeless, Spring Impact could be the place for you.
Spring Impact was founded in 2011 to address the issues of scaling in the social sector. Today Spring Impact is a global leader in social replication with a team of over 20 passionate professionals. Working from offices in London and San Francisco, the team serves clients in over 40 countries spanning the developed and developing world. Spring Impact is recognized as a thought leader in the social sector and works with some of the leading foundations and nonprofits in the world (see a list here).
Spring Impact helps clients to understand their social replication and scale options for their specific context. Its services include support in:
- Assessing scale readiness and feasibility
- Developing a scale strategy
- Building the business model for scale
- Systemizing operations for scale
- Analyzing investor and donor portfolios
- Scale due diligence
- Executing bespoke training
Like its clients, Spring Impact is now ready to move beyond the start-up phase and seeks a US Director to lead the organization into expansion mode.
ROLE DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The US Director will join a team of three directors (two in the UK office) and lead seven staff in San Francisco and California. They will be expected to develop new business and funding to support Spring Impact’s US expansion; structure and lead teams to deliver outstanding client work; build and maintain strong client relationships; represent Spring Impact in public settings; drive advocacy and thought leadership objectives; serve as a mentor and role model for staff; and work collaboratively with other directors, the CEO and board in setting strategy and leading the organization.
The responsibilities of the job include, but are not limited to the following:
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Collaborate with the CEO, Directors and board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with Spring Impact’s mission.
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to staff and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization.
- Establish effective and transparent decision-making processes that will enable Spring Impact to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives.
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
- In partnership with the CEO and UK Directors, help build a diverse and inclusive Board that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
- Collaborate with other Directors to create a strong global leadership team.
Business Development, Thought Leadership and External Relations
- Design and drive the US strategy to expand Spring Impact’s client base.
- Work closely with the CEO and other Directors to expand Spring Impact’s global client base.
- Collaborate with the communications team to formulate and execute comprehensive US marketing, branding and development strategies that will ensure consistency throughout the US and global organization and enhance revenue from donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Build relationships with leading funders, securing multi-year capacity building grants.
- Represent Spring Impact at conferences and events, ideally in a speaking role.
- Promote Spring Impact’s thought leadership in scale and replication through writing.
- Support recruitment, onboarding and development of staff.
- Execute appraisals, staff feedback and create development plans for reports.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to managers, and other staff where appropriate.
- Ensure office/team is compliant with human resource law and standards.
Consultancy & Client Relationship Management
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative senior client relationships with respect to objectives, critical issues, work plan, implications, recommendations, potential risks/roadblocks, and implementation plan.
- Develop advisory relationships with clients, as well as other sector leaders, “above and beyond” the immediate engagement.
- Lead client engagements and facilitate workshops as required.
- Provide strategic leadership to support clients to adopt and implement recommendations.
- Provide strategic leadership and accountability to internal teams to deliver high quality and effective consultancy to clients that supports Spring Impact’s strategic objectives, including projects that are delivered on time and budget.
- Support improvements and strengthening of Spring Impact’s methodology and consultancy approach to better deliver against client and organizational strategic objectives.
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long- and short-range financial plans, ensure project profitability, monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place; set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff.
- Ensure that Spring Impact has a consistent flow of work.
- Lead the internal business development workstream and other critical internal strategic initiatives as required. The business development workstream includes accountability for business development strategy and processes globally, with support from junior staff.
The winning candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Passionate about Spring Impact’s mission.
- Share Spring Impact’s values of:
Collaboration: Applying diverse skills to drive a more comprehensive outcome
Questioning: Challenging ourselves and our clients, continuous re-evaluation
Shared Success: We are only as good as those we assist
Building on experiences: Use scarce resources efficiently, don’t reinvent the wheel
Openness: Generous with ideas, research and experiences
- Advanced degree preferred with 7+ years consulting experience including strategy consulting (in exceptional cases, may be open to candidates who have served in a leadership role or senior operational role within a high performing non-profit organization in lieu of consulting experience). At least five years overall experience working within, or aligned to, the social sector with a preference for global experience.
- Established relationships with philanthropists and nonprofit leaders.
- Experience working with others to translate ideas into action; ability to think beyond “what is” to “what might be” – with an eye to the practical.
- Collaborative and engaging with outstanding interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds.
- Team-orientation and collaborative approach; outstanding listening skills and the ability to manage through influence.
- Executive demeanor, comfortable functioning at the highest levels of client organizations; excellent presentation skills, including strong verbal and writing capabilities.
- Seasoned leader/director with strong entrepreneurial drive, who thrives on intellectual challenge and “raises the bar” in terms of client service delivery.
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate team members and guiding client engagements.
- Highly motivated, ambitious, mission-driven and client-service oriented.
- Open to learning and exploring new ways of achieving success.
- This is a full time leadership position with 7+ years of applicable experience preferred
- Work location is San Francisco Bay Area, CA with approximately 6 – 10 weeks short term national and international travel per year
- You will need existing permission to work in the US
- Compensation is commensurate with experience
Deadline for application: Thursday April 4 at 5:00pm PT
For consideration or to suggest a candidate, please email email@example.com including “US Director” in the subject line. Applications should include a letter of interest and resume. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of the opportunity. No phone calls please. Only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted.
Spring Impact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or qualified job applicants based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other status or condition protected by applicable law. This policy extends to, but is not limited to, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, training and termination.